When using canned vegetables, look for BPA free cans
If you’d like to add meat, use 1pound of ground turkey and brown during the onion wilting stage. Left over shredded chicken will also work. Add the chicken with tomatoes.
*Slow Cooker option: Once you are ready to add the tomatoes, transfer everything to the slow cooker and continue. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for about 7 hours. If you are cooking on low and away all day, go ahead and add your beans and corn ingredients. If you will be nearby and cooking on high, add the beans and corn for the last hour.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 organic red bell peppers, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leafs
- 28 oz can of chopped or crushed organic tomatoes
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can of kidney or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen organic corn kernels
- Plain full fat Greek yogurt (optional topping)
- Chopped red onion (optional topping)
- Hot sauce (optional topping)
In a large sauce pot heat the oil on medium. Add in the onion, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno, cook for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are soft and mostof the onions transparent.
Add in the chili, cumin and bay leafs, toss with veggies and cook about a minute until you can smell the spices, top with the crushed tomatoes and stir.Cook for 1-3 hours on low, the longer you cook it the better the flavors will be. In the last hour, add in the beans and the corn and stir together.